Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rockler FX router lift

"Gramp's shop" wrote:

I'm considering using this set up for panel-raising operations.
While I recognize the speed issues using a PC690, I seem to recall
that there are speed reducers available, oui?

You can probably find a speed control; however, consider the
following:

The output torque of a universal motor is directly proportional to
operating RPM.

If you are able to reduce the RPM of a PC690, you will also reduce
it's cutting torque.

Translation:

Taking even the shallowest cuts with a large bit and a PC690 at
8,000 RPM will result in burn cuts, especially in you are working
with Maple.

The same rules apply to a larger router such as a Milwaukee 5625;
however,
you are starting with a much bigger HP motor, so you will still have
enough
torque to get a clean cut, even at the 8,000 RPM level.

If you truly want to use large bits in a table mounted router, you
probably want
to start thinking about a larger table mounted router as well as the
lift.

Lew