Dave Mundt

Default Newbie needs advice please getting wood less than 4/4

Greetings and Salutations.

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 22:21:50 GMT, "Sandie C"
wrote:

Hi All
I see many patterns call for 1/2" wood, how do I achieve this when my local
lumber yard sells 4/4 and larger?

thanks in advance
Sandie

Well, how about these alternatives:
1) Get 5/4 wood and resaw it half thickness. If you DON'T
have a bandsaw this is a great excuse to BUY one (any excuse to
get a new tool). The exact thickness will come as a side effect
of smoothing the wood down to get rid of the saw marks.
2) I am sure that the lumber yard will be MORE than
happy to plane the wood down to 1/2" for you. They either will
do it for free, or, for a nominal charge.
3) Redesign the project to use 3/4" wood.
Regards
Dave Mundt