Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What size electrical junction box fits a 1-inch diameter cable anyway?

On May 16, 1:22*am, Danny D wrote:
On Wed, 15 May 2013 07:36:49 -0400, John Grabowski wrote:
*You are confusing trade sizes with actual dimensions of the conduit.
Your flex has some writing on the outside of it which should
include the trade size.

LESSON LEARNED:

The old cable clearly says it's 1/2 inch cable on it, had I only looked!
*http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/13045614.jpg

Finally! Good grief!

In hindsight, I was lulled into complacency because I could easily
measure the fat end of the original elbow at an exact 1 inch, so, it
seemed so natural that the conduit was one inch that I didn't doublecheck..

Part of this comes from experience. One inch conduit is
so large that it makes no sense that it would be used to hook
up your pool motor. Once you have some experience, it's easy
to recognize what size it is just by looking. Apparently, it's not
so easy to tell by looking at a pic. You did have that one recent
pic that shows the end of the 1/2", but the hole in that compared
to the thickenss of the wall, and the different colors, made me
think it was some kind of bushing inside a 3/4" conduit

It was only when the one inch box didn't fit, and the 3/4 inch box didn't
fit either, that I took a second look at the problem.

As DD pointed out, it's not really a one inch box. It's a
4" box with one inch holes. Just so you don't wind up
going over to ACE and asking for such a thing. The
dopes they have over there might spend an hour looking
for one.

Even then, it's wholly unnatural that both sides of that elbow were
actually 1/2 inch connectors!

Well, I guess that's why even the right end wouldn't go into
the box threads.