Henry E Schaffer

Default constructing a wooden scaffold

In article ,
Andy Dingley wrote:
On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 16:20:51 +0100, Frank Shute
wrote:

I need to put up scaffolding around my summer house in Finland in
order to do some work on the outside.

It's also illegal to do this in the UK, unless it's entirely on your
own property, it's more than some magic distance from the nearest
public road, and no public or even other tradesmen have access to it.
The rules changed a few months ago and any "scaffolding" must now be

^^^
of approved design and checked by a qualified scaffolding rigger (NB -
you can still assemble it yourself, so long as they OK it). Given the
public hazards caused by some dodgy scaffolding in the past, then I
don't have a problem with this ruling.

So if I want to put up a scaffold about 5' high, 8' long and 3' deep
to work on the top half of an outside house wall - I'd need to follow an
"approved design" and retain a rigger to OK it?

Isn't this bureaucracy run amok? Or is it really not "any", and only
applies to scaffolding above some size?
--
--henry schaffer
hes _AT_ ncsu _DOT_ edu