Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need advice from flooring experts please

On Thu, 16 May 2013 00:45:03 +0200, nestork
wrote:

If it was me, I would nail down 3/8 fir underlayment no matter what you
do.

3/8" is pretty thick for that purpose. Typically 1/4" luan is the
normal underlayment, used to even up floors for vinyl flooring, and
such.

That way, if the tenant decides for themselves to glue down some sort of
flooring, you can always get it up by prying up the underlayment, no
matter what kind of epoxy the tenant uses to glue their flooring down.

The strongest flexible flooring I know of is synthetic rubber flooring.
3/8 inch thick synthetic rubber flooring is the only flooring I know of
that's used in skating rinks where people will be walking on it with
skates on, and in Golf shops where people will be walking on it with
spiked shoes.

Johnsonite is the biggest name in synthetic rubber flooring, and they
have everything from cushioned synthetic rubber flooring (for softness,
and in terrariums because lizards sense the approach of prey and
predators by the vibrations they feel in the ground with their feet),
safety flooring for installation in wet areas and around swimming pools,
attractive rubber flooring for a weight lifting room, kids rumpus rooms,
and super durable synthetic rubber flooring for commercial settings.
The stuff is expensive, but it's super strong.

'Johnsonite | Commercial Flooring | The Ultimate Flooring Experience'
(http://www.johnsonite.com)

If it wuz me, I and I wanted something in a residential flooring instead
of a commercial flooring, I would opt for a level loop solution dyed
nylon carpet. Over 80 percent of the commercial carpet made in North
America is made of nylon. For a full explanation of why I'd opt for
that kind of carpet, use the Search tool at the top of the page to
search for a post in this Home Repair forum entitled "Carpet or Hardwood
flooring" posted by Gordon Shumway. Read my response to Gordon in that
thread and you'll be an expert on solution dyed nylon carpet.