Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What size electrical junction box fits a 1-inch diameter cable anyway?

On May 15, 5:22*pm, Danny D wrote:
On Wed, 15 May 2013 14:07:52 -0400, gfretwell wrote:
That elbow is a 3/4" flex to 1/2" thread.

OK. If the large side of the elbow, which measures at 1-inch, is actually
a 3/4 inch connection, then that means the existing conduit is 3/4 inch
and not 1 inch as I had thought.

So I bought the wrong box (because I bought a 1-inch box).

However, that doesn't explain why the 3/4-inch threaded connector is
still too large for the 3/4-inch box?

It's close, but the threads don't fit?

I'm wholly confused because 3/4 inch conduit doesn't fit the 3/4 inch
box???

What you have doesn't work, so you have to take it
back, right? You apparently have 3/4"
liquidtight conduit. Measure the inside diameter. Go down
to HD or wherever you bought what you have. Take a piece
of the conduit with you or measure the inside diatmeter. I
see markings on the conduit in the pic and I'll bet it even
says what size it is. Find a piece of conduit at HD to use
or take a piece with you. Then go to the parts bin and find
the appropriate fittings, box, etc. Make sure it all works before
you leave.

One fundemental problem that has been explained to
you is that you have two different ends of that elbow.
One end has threads that mate with the nut for the
conduit. That end will never mate with the box. If that
conduit is 3/4, then you need a 3/4" elbow. It fits 3/4
conduit on one side, 3/4 box hole on the other