Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default diybanter.com forum hacked!?

On 15/05/13 19:53, Eric wrote:
PeterC wrote ...

Use a Host file. Malware/ad sites are blocked. No hit on bandwidth.

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

Yep, stops a lot. My Hosts file is currently 240,000 - DNS service needs to
be disabled or else loading takes a long time.

Jeez. I've been running one of over 10 years and it's less than 36k.
You'll probably find that many of the urls in your list no longer exist.
M$, FBI etc are forever closing sites.

oh FFS the reason DNS was INVENTED was to get rid of hosts files.

run your own DNS server and put the blacklists into that.

Useful little proggy for working on Hosts file:
http://hostsman.softpedia.com/

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.