Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default diybanter.com forum hacked!?

On 15/05/2013 17:41, PeterC wrote:
On Wed, 15 May 2013 16:39:09 +0100, Eric wrote:

John Rumm wrote ...

On 15/05/2013 09:02, Brian Gaff wrote:

I have ad blocking software in all my browsers, preserves sanity.

Kind of, however that does not stop these pesky add ons from still
requesting all sorts of ad data - even if the blocker prevents it from
being downloaded or displayed you are still suffering a performance hit
and potentially a data leak as a result of having one there. The main
difference is you don't get to experience the symptoms.

Use a Host file. Malware/ad sites are blocked. No hit on bandwidth.

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

Yep, stops a lot. My Hosts file is currently 240,000 - DNS service needs to
be disabled or else loading takes a long time.

Useful little proggy for working on Hosts file:
http://hostsman.softpedia.com/

OpenDNS does a fair job of blocking malicious sites and takes little
extra resources on the PC.
You may even find that your router will use OpenDNS if you tell it to.