Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default OT Birds crashing into windows!

Robert Macy wrote:
What's going on? Last year we had a bird hit the windows, maybe once a
month, or every two months. This year it's been more like 6-8 a day!!
And even the cautious ones hang on the junction ledge and press their
heads against the glass, or tentatively flutter around over the
surface of the glass, as if they could find some opening to get
through. Some of these birds are so aggressive they go to several
windows and sliding doors.

Some birds hit so hard they mortally wound themselves. Most usually
are stunned and just make a horrible flutter/thump sound that can be
heard throughout the whole house, a bit jarring. But, like I said once
a month, or every two months is one thing. But this is getting
unnerving, even in the time I took to type this in there were two
'hits'

Anybody have any similar experiences this year, or ideas as to why the
increase?

Likely, the birds see their own reflections, and are trying to chase away the
intruded. I've heard of placing pictures, for instance - of owls, on the windows
to let them know there is something in the way.