Posted to alt.mechanical.engineering,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
jim beam jim beam is offline

Default The Blitz gasoline can - what went wrong - what needs to be fixed

On 05/14/2013 09:03 PM, Danny D. wrote:
On Tue, 14 May 2013 20:46:29 -0700, jim beam wrote:

for anything more than a few hours storage, there's no question that
fully sealed will lose less. this is because the sealed can vapors will
reach equilibrium and after initial vaporization inside the can, it will
then stop once its magic vapor pressure is reached. with a vented can,
that never happens, and it continues to leak out forever until all gone.

Hmmm... in the olden days, with the vented cans, I don't remember ever
having the gasoline all vaporize. Although, I must admit I never thought
about the level in the can day to day.

Would the old-style cans lose *all* the gas over time?

if vented, absolutely. it'll take a while, but it will.

How long (for 5 gallons)?

don't know, but i do know that a dented-up 11 gallon gas tank from a car
with about a gallon of unpourable gas left in the back yard is bone dry
a couple of months later.

--
fact check required