Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default A tractor, a chain, and one less eye.

Dean Hoffman " wrote:
On 5/14/13 5:26 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I was getting my haircut last night and my barber told me of an accident
his uncle recently had.

He was out in the woods pulling some logs with a chain attached to his
tractor. Apparently when he tossed the chain in the direction of the
tractor, it landed across the battery or some electrical connections and
starting sparking. As he moved towards the tractor to remove the chain, the
battery exploded.

Some snipped.
Hmmm. This sounds like a fishin' story. The batteries on all the
tractors I've seen were in cases. There is usually a cover over the
battery box. This goes back to tractors manufactured in the 1940s with six volt systems.
The only possibly exposed electrical connection is at the starter
solenoid. Those are typically at the rear of the engine just
like on a car.
Chains don't throw well either for that matter.
Is your barber's name Aesop?

Nope, and he's not just my barber. He does contracting jobs on the side and
we've worked together a few times. We'll be pouring a new stoop at my house
next month. I have no reason to think he'd lie to me, but obviously you are
free to do so.