Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default What size electrical junction box fits a 1-inch diameter cableanyway?

On 5/15/2013 1:36 AM, Danny D wrote:
Today I tried to connect a 1-inch wide flexible conduit to what was
billed as a 1-inch outdoor junction box:

However, the 1-inch side of the old elbow clearly was too small to fit
the threads in the 1-inch hole of the new reputedly 1-inch junction box:

Yet, the 1-inch side of the old elbow was just as clearly too large to
fit the threads in the 3/4 inch hole of a 3/4 inch junction box:

Clearly I'm confused. Or I bought the wrong type of junction box.
Does a solution seem clear to you?

You have a piece of 3/4" nonmetallic flex. It looks like you have a 1/2"
X 90 degree NM flex connector. You need a 3/4" NM flex connector. The
larger threaded side of the connector is not pipe threads. it only
threads onto the tightening nut that goes on the NM flex. If you want to
install the 3/4" into the box with 1" openings, you'll need a 1" x 3/4"
threaded bushing.