Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Masonite flooring, bad idea?

On Tue, 14 May 2013 19:18:56 -0700 (PDT), Stanley Schaefer
wrote:

On May 13, 9:22*pm, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 13 May 2013 17:09:36 -0700, Larry Jaques

wrote:
On Sun, 12 May 2013 22:42:38 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sun, 12 May 2013 13:41:47 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

* Office supply stores used to stock Tempered Masonite chair mats,
before the molded plastic ones were available. *I saw a homemade one the
other day, for a large computer desk.

Oversized casters help there, too. *If he goes with the masonite, the
larger wheels would do a bit less damage and make it last longer. If
he goes with carpet, they make it easier to roll on that, too. *Since
all the new chairs are adjustable in height, taller wheels don't make
a difference to the user.

*Unless the user has very short legs.

No, because the pneumatic cylinder is usually adjustable enough to
lower the seat accordingly. *YMMV

* Some don't go high enough for me. *Not all the cylinders are created
the same. *I am in the process of getting rid of a bunch of broken &
worn out chairs. *Most have bad cylinders, some have multiple cracks,
and the others have too many stripped out bolt holes. *They have all
passed their useful life, and just aren't worth more time & money for
another round of repairs. *A couple of the molded plastic bases have let
the tube slide down enough to drag on the floor.

Bummer.

* I was looking at this chair. *It has a heavy duty cylinder.

Umm, all I can say is "RUN AWAY!"

http://www.everythingfurniture.com/off4-leather-office-chair-3.html?c...

That's a cardboard chair with maybe half an inch of padding in it. The
heavy-duty cylinder you see is really a cheap plastic cover over a
puny cylinder, I'll bet. *($10? *When I bet, it's a sure thing, 'cuz I
can't afford to lose that much.) *At $79, that's a cheapo pigskin
chair from Chiwan.

Id agree.

If you want a GOOD chair..hit business closings. *Office furniture is
seldom sold *at the auction except in job lots...and often you can
give the buyer $20 for a chair of that sort..because they are their
for the filing cabinets, etc etc

Gunner

The ones to get are Aeron brand.

IMHO, those are both overrated and waaaaay overpriced.

--
The Road to Success...is always under construction.
--anon