Posted to alt.mechanical.engineering,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Harry K[_2_] Harry K[_2_] is offline

Default The Blitz gasoline can - what went wrong - what needs to be fixed

On May 14, 9:03*pm, "Danny D." wrote:
On Tue, 14 May 2013 20:46:29 -0700, jim beam wrote:
for anything more than a few hours storage, there's no question that
fully sealed will lose less. *this is because the sealed can vapors will
reach equilibrium and after initial vaporization inside the can, it will
then stop once its magic vapor pressure is reached. *with a vented can,
that never happens, and it continues to leak out forever until all gone..

Hmmm... in the olden days, with the vented cans, I don't remember ever
having the gasoline all vaporize. Although, I must admit I never thought
about the level in the can day to day.

Would the old-style cans lose *all* the gas over time?

How long (for 5 gallons)?

I used to store a 1 gal can in one of my sheds for the mowers. Never
found the can empty even after sitting for a year.

Harry K