Posted to alt.mechanical.engineering,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Danny D.[_10_] Danny D.[_10_] is offline

Default The Blitz gasoline can - what went wrong - what needs to befixed

On Tue, 14 May 2013 19:33:30 -0700, jim beam wrote:

not to mention the increased spillage trying to get them to work...

Seems to me they mandated the gas stays *in* rather well; but
not that the gas comes *out* gracefully.

The cost of the complexity is (it seems):
a) The increased spillage of gasoline
b) The increased vapors from gas left in the can (see note 1)
c) The increased cost & complexity of the spout
d) The increased time it takes to pour the gas out

Note 1:
I can't get all the gas out of the can with the spout on.
I presume all that gas will vaporize and fill the can with
gasoline vapors, which, will stay inside due to the lack of
venting and permeability - but - they will immediately escape
the moment the spout is removed for the refilling tasks.

Given that we spill more, and we vent more when we open the
gasoline can to refill - yet - we certainly vent *less* during
storage and during the pouring tasks ... I wonder where the
balance of the equation lies?

Does anyone know of any data on what we're actually saving
in vented gasoline vapors?