Posted to alt.home.repair

Default APC, Belkin, ... large surge protectors: made in China

On May 14, 12:19*pm, jamesgang wrote:
On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 9:12:35 AM UTC-4, David Combs wrote:
I've got some of these 8 or 10 socket surge protectors. (The Belkin ones are in a metal case) I might need to get more. So, looking at Amazon at some of them, I, as usual, look at the reader reviews, with ratings of 1(horrible) to 5(good, excellent). The poor ratings told stories of having to open them up and bend peices to where they should, fix connections, etc. QUESTION: What experience have you had with these two main brands of surge protectors? Anything like the above? Oh, some reviewers said that APC *used* to be *excellent*, but that a few years APC moved its production to China, and since then the quality has fallen to like zero. Your experiences? And what fixes had to be done? Did any of you make pictures/videos of repairing them? Thanks, David

It's all a waste of money. *Most modern power supplies can handle a wide range of voltages. *Lots of them work on 100 to 240 vac without changing any switches or anything.

Do they handle a 4000V surge when lightning
hits the power lines near the house? That's what
surge protectors are for, not small voltage differences.