Posted to alt.mechanical.engineering,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Danny D.[_10_] Danny D.[_10_] is offline

Default The Blitz gasoline can - what went wrong - what needs to befixed

On Tue, 14 May 2013 11:44:52 -1000, Geoff Welsh wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lcnwdIYEfI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpaP-nT3Zog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3o5tHLWZKc

I am going to see if YouTube can teach me
to tie my shoes again.....damn velcro....

Everything in those videos was intuitive to me except
what to use for a vent. I thought it was ingenious that
they drilled a half-inch hole (paddle wood bit would be
better than the spiral flute bit they used though) and
inserted an automotive tire valve sans the stem.

Pulling out the locking "trigger" was obvious, I agree.

Personally, I defeat the child-proof lock simply by knocking
off the nub on the red plastic, whereas in the videos, they
redundantly cut both the nub and the ratchet (either one
would have worked alone).

That child-proof feature is odd though, because even with
it removed, it's still darn difficult to get the cap off.

It's my opinion that any 'kid' strong enough to remove that
cap is certainly already old enough to defeat the ratchet
lock on his own anyway.

Overall, after experiencing these cans since their inception
in California (which happened before you guys had the honor
of following CARB regulations)... I've concluded the best
thing to do with the spout is to simply remove it.

That's why I'm looking for caps to fit!