Posted to alt.mechanical.engineering,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_] Brent[_4_] is offline

Default The Blitz gasoline can - what went wrong - what needs to be fixed

On 2013-05-14, wrote:
On May 14, 3:15*pm, Danny D wrote:
On Tue, 14 May 2013 12:33:51 -0700, bob haller wrote:
Some of my 5 gallon plastic gas cans happen to be the same size and
threads of a briggs & stratton lawnmower engine. I swapped them by
accident and the sealed cap killed the engine pretty quick.

Bad news on Blitz.

I called the Plastics Group at 630-325-1210 x295
*
http://www.theplasticsgroup.net/contact-us.php

That extension was invalid, but I spoke to a representative who
said *nobody* bought the molds that Blitz used on their gas cans.

The lady (I forgot to get her name) said that all the molds could
be different but they themselves might re-use their own molds for
their Briggs & Stratton engines (she wasn't sure). So that would
explain how a Briggs & Stratton engine can use the same cap threads
as a gas can from The Plastics Group.

Regarding the Blitz manufacturing operation, the lady said nobody
bought the molds because then they'd be subject to the lawsuits;
so, in the end, it looks like there is no way to get a *direct*
replacement cap.

The only option left is to see if someone else's threads *fit*
the Blitz gasoline cans. That's going to be left to trial & error.

Now that there are do-it-yourself manufaturing of plastic parts
machines readily available, maybe someone will come up with a design
for a cap with the needed thread dimensions and make it available on
the internet. If they can illegally make crappy-firing guns that way,
they should be able to make a gas can cap, legal or otherwise..

You do not want FDM parts for a gasoline container. I don't recall the
gasoline resistance of PC or ABS off the top of my head but FDM by it's
very nature will have to be thick to prevent fluid and vapor from
passing through it. Also it will cost more than simply buying a new
plastic gas container.

And the FDM gun is just nonsense. People with skills and specialized
equipment could always make their own firearms.