Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jamie Jamie is offline

Default Brake light fuse blows intermittently

amdx wrote:

On 5/12/2013 7:12 PM, Jamie wrote:

amdx wrote:

My daughters 97 Avalon blows the brake light fuse about every other day.
I thought I'd eliminate some wiring as a troubleshooting procedure.
There is a connector block on the side next to the drivers foot.
I found the brake light wire at the connector and in the trunk. I cut
the wire at the connector and ran a new wire from the front to the
trunk, I also cut the wire in the trunk, and wired the new wire to the
brake lights. That leaves just a short old wire in the trunk going to
both the left and the right brake light.
The fuse opened again a couple days later.

Is there anything internal to the brake lights that could short to
cause the fuse to blow?

There is at least one other circuit run by that fuse, there is a shift
lever release (solenoid?) mechanism.
You must push the brake pedal to move the shift lever.

Any help?
Thanks, Mikek

Very possible the wires have chafed around the solenoid, it does move a
little when operated, it's possible the wire harness is moving with it.
It's also possible the solenoid has come loose and moving excessively,
which in turn will move the wires.

And there is also the other possibility, if the solenoid is under the
car, outside, you may have rot or varmint eaters.

I would put a tail light bulb inseries with the fuse or use it as a fuse
and start moving some wires around when the brake is applied, and move
the shifter etc.. watch for sudden bright glow.. That'll save fuses.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie,
Good suggestions the solenoid and series bulb.
I'll have to figure out the Shifter release, no clue how that operates.
Everything is so tight, I don't like working under the dash.
My wife's relative usually does my repair work, but he got in a little
huf when he said he new how to fix it and I quizzed him on why "THAT"
part would short to ground. I backed off and let him do what he does. He
replaced the part and it still blows fuses, I didn't tell him
his repair failed, because generally I'm happy to have him fix most of
my auto problems.
Anyway next time my daughter comes to town, I'll try your suggestions.
Hmm, while I'm waiting I think I'll look into a resettable circuit breaker.
Mikek

PS, I do like the fact that when the brake light fuse blows, the shift
lever won't move. It gives you notice! However my daughter was creative
enough to find the mechanical release and drive anyway. I didn't think
much about it when she told me, until I had a random thought, "I wonder
if her brake lights work. That's when she started supporting the fuse
company.

my 2011 Jeep Cherokee had an addendum in the glove on how to release the
shift lock, you need to move the rubber that goes around the shift and
you are suppose to be able to reach the solenoid actuator so you can
release it.

Jamie