Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Does it matter at all whether PVC unions are on one way or the other?

On May 12, 10:30*pm, Danny D wrote:
On Sun, 12 May 2013 21:06:57 -0400, micky wrote:
**I can't remember if black is PVC, APS, JPG, or whatever.

The black is black paint on top of white schedule 40 plumbing.

The reason for the black paint is to prevent UV degradation of
the PVC pipes.

I looked it up a while back, and, it turns out that the pipes
get "brittle" in the sun; so they're almost always painted
black if they're outside (like mine are) in the blazing sun.

It seems to me a curious thing that they paint them black.
Not only is black ugly, but it absorbs more heat from the sun.
White paint would offer UV protection, look better, and
absorb less heat. That's what I use where that is an issue.