Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gazz Gazz is offline

Default Best security for an up&over garage door?

"Mentalguy2k8" wrote in message

"Murmansk" wrote in message
These are what I fitted - they seem pretty good

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ENFIELD-GA...e m337eb7005d

I don't think the standard lock is very secure - mine has a piece of wire
that links to a bolt at the top - if you were to drill a tiny hole in the
centre of the door you could push the wire and make it withdraw the top
bolt.

Same here, it's a kind of push-lever in the middle of the door, when you
push the lever it pulls a wire which splits into a "V" and pulls down on a
latch each side, pulling them out of holes on the top of the doorframe.

Parents garage doors are of the type where the handle pulls a wire that
pulls a spring loaded pin out of the hole in the top plate, **** easy to
bypass, there's always a gap all around the door, and at the top you can
even see the pin if you look in the right place, screwdriver just next to it
and a little leverage the door will pop open,

he added his usual 'security bolts' to the doors, a piece of 2x2 screwed
from the outside to the inside of the doors, and some sliding bolts into the
frame.... anyone can see the screw heads, and as they'd usually have a
screwdriver to pop the pin at the top, can easily undoo the bolts, mind,
most garage doors are so flimsy they can be bent enough to pop any bolts out
with little effort.

The garage door at my place had a multi point locking system, solid bar up
and one to either side, or that's what should have been there, i guess
someone lost the key and took the locking mech off, replacing it with a
slide bolt into the concrete at the bottom, secured to the door with self
tapping screws, and about 5mm into the concrete, the wind would sometimes
rattle the door enough to pop the bolt free.

I priced up the replacement parts from henderson, got up off the floor, and
went to buy an electric garage door opener instead,
spotted on on ebay locally for half the price of the henderson locking bits,
(new one would have only been £25 more than the locking bars, plates and
handle jobbie)

With the electric opener fitted, the door can not be opened manually against
the motor, i put a T handle locking lever on the door, but it does nothing,
and unless someone sees the door opening electrically, they can't tell it's
not a standard manual one, so would hopefully fanny about trying to bypass
the manual lock and get nowhere,

of course an electric opener is no use if there is no electric in the OP's
garage, so my post is useless... but what's new there.