Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default fixing incorrect bathroom vent roof cap

On May 13, 12:47*am, "bob" wrote:
Bathroom vents that goes into the attic is supposed to be connected to a
roof cap, but the ones in my attic are just placed under roof vents. Here
are some photos:

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/29378706_4rttHP

Is this an acceptable solution? I would think not, since moist air can
accumulate inside the attic and cause mold to grow.

Can this be corrected without having to walk onto the roof? If yes, then I
can try to fix it myself. If not, then I will hire someone to do it. What
type of contractor should I look for?

I assume they are fan vents not plumbing vents?

The one flex line looks like a fan vent for sure.

The consider is not 'ok' but it depends on where you live (yearly
climate condtion)

If I didn't want to walk on the roof, one kinda ok way to fix these
would to place a 'mirrored' vent flashing on underside of the exsiitng
ones.
Cut away the wood, goop up the flashing & "glue it" to the roof felt.
Rig a "retainer means" to really hold it in place.
Fix the vent pipe / hose to the underside flashing and now you've got
a completely sealed path with very little volume to accumulate
moisture.

Alternatively you poke a a hard vent tube up through the flashings &
connect old work to it in the attic.
Of course you'd be missing the vent caps....all the rain that falls on
the open tube with wind up running down the tube.

cheers
Bob