Andrew Gabriel

Default Is my main socket ring too big?

In article ,
Lawrence writes:
Try speaking to builder about being unhappy, if no joy there and you
do not mind creating ripples speak to building control at the council.

Nothing listed was contrary to building regs. (Maybe something
else is, but getting that fixed won't solve original poster's
concerns.)

It will probably be worth paying the builder £50 to split the ring
main. It will be a darn sight easier at this stage.

I think that stage was passed before 2nd fix, and original poster
said he is past 2nd fix.

Much as I appreaciate the desire to have a freezer of the RCD, I would
also not want to see the remaining kitchen appliances off the RCD. So
if I wanted the freezer separate then I would run a separate cable on
its own trip just for the freezer.

Generally, when I rewire, I run two rings in the kitchen.
One is not RCD protected, and feeds all the large non-portable
appliances like fridge, freezer, washing machine, oven, dishwasher,
central heating (if applicable), none of which represent significant
electric shock risk, but in many cases represent some risk if their
power were to be lost. Socket outlets are all deliberately fairly
inaccessible and often unswitched. The second ring is RCD protected
and feeds all the readily accessible socket outlets for portable
appliances, which are the ones where RCD protection is most important.

--
Andrew Gabriel