Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Induction hob - Y/N?

On Sun, 12 May 2013 00:24:37 +0100, Graham. wrote:

SWMBO, bless her little cotton socks, has been told by somebody that
induction hobs are the way forward.

I know zip about these other than I can see they are expensive - does
anybody here recommend them? Also, are they straightforward to fit (we
do have a dedicated radial oven cable already)

Thanks

Have you ever seen a professional chef use any sort of electric hob?

Quite often on Cruise ships where gas is not welcome or practical for
various reasons.

We have had an induction hob for about 6 years now, no mains gas and I
don't really want the clutter of bottles or a storage tank for
cooking. Having used gas in the past we found the induction hob to be
almost as controllable as the gas was. A lot easier to clean compared
to the open burners of the gas cookers and old style electric rings we
have used in the past. Only very minor niggle is that drips of water
from saucepan lids etc when you lift them up form puddles that need
to wiped up with a cloth,with gas or old style electric rings the
drips just sizzled then turned to steam and went out the extractor.
As other have said you need the correct cook ware and most domestic
induction hobs won't be suitable for people who like cooking with Woks
,commercial induction WOK units are available but pricey.

G.Harman
G.Harman