Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default 1st Try with Scarey Sharp

On 5/12/2013 3:55 AM, Bill wrote:

I started with set of "new" Blue Marples gouges, that have been used
until dull.

I sprayed an adequate amount (probably more than necessary) of 3m Super
77 adhesive
onto my 9"x12" granite block, and I basically attached about a 2" wide
strip of each of 220, 400, 600 and 800 grit silicon carbide wet and dry
around the perimeter using a j-roller. I have finer grits, but I was
told "up to 800" would do the job, and a 9"x12"x2" granite block isn't
all that big (it's darn heavy though!) I observed that the paper really
needs to be on the perimeter of the block, to adequately sand the backs,
so options are limited.

Starting with the 1/4" gouge, I did the *back* on all 4 grits using a
circular motion. I "wisked" the sandpaper with a brush in between grits
at least (to keep it "clean").

Then starting back with the 220 grit, I carefully ground the bevel side.
I used a couple fingers over the bevel to apply uniform force as I
ground/pulled it. Then I did the back on the 220. Next I proceded to
the 400 and did both of these steps again--ditto on the 600 and 800. And
for good measure, I ran both sides across my honing strop (both sides).

The 1/4" gouge was sharp--cuts hair, and cuts end-grain. That was my
"benchmark" test. I tried my gouges on end grain before and after being
sharpened.

Then I repeated the same operations to my 3/8" gouge, also getting
pretty good results.

I was concerned my paper may have been worn out at that point (I
compared it to nice fresh sandpaper), but I gave it a "bath" and it
seemed to recover a little, maybe. It definitely had some smoothe spots.

I sharpened my 1/2" gouge the same as the other too. I don't think I
ground all of the major scratches out of the bevel, but it was sharp
after I was done. I think my 220 grit was too worn.
------------

Almost 2 hours elapsed since I started. I pulled the paper off of the
granite, and the glue was still plenty sticky. Directions online said to
use a razor blade next, but glue was too sticky/messy. First I used
acetone on a paper towel, and then (upgraded to using it) on a rag,
trying to avoid breathing the vapors.

Is it true, that the paper will only last for 2 small gouges? On my
next try I was thinking of trying water instead of glue, and beginning
with 120 grit.

I can see that my other larger gouges, which I haven't used yet are
"rough" (at least I know the difference now!) I will work on them next,
before I move on to some planes.

Please feel free to validate or criticise my approach--that's why I
posted it! I have more sharpening ahead of me.

Cheers,
Bill

Preparing new chisels/gouges will wear paper faster than a chisel that
just needs a new edge.

I love the smell of acetone... try mineral spirits for 3M 77 next time,
that is the proper solvent.

once your chisels/gouges are prepared water will hold the paper down
fine. For keeping the paper clean try a drop of detergent in the water
sprayer. It breaks surface tension and lets the slurry wash away more
easily w/o clogging... but if it gets under the paper the paper will move...

I think you can go higher than 800, I would think a strop for you gouges
would help you get higher, and yes you will notice a difference.

just create a small micro bevel (even on gouges) very slight so you have
meat behind the edge to support it.
--
Jeff