Posted to uk.d-i-y
Edgar Iredale[_3_] Edgar Iredale[_3_] is offline

Default Induction hob - Y/N?

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sun, 12 May 2013 09:22:53 +0100, Edgar wrote:

I won't have gas - the added moisture created by burning gas annoys
me.

eh, our gas heater burns 71 g gas per hour per kW or produces about 70
ml of water an hour at 1 kW. 70 ml is a large double measure of
sprits.

But that's for 1kW for an hour pan cooking rarely takes that long and
won't be running at a 1 kW either. I reckon the burnt gas will
contribute less than half of that 70 ml of water to the air, you'll
have more from the cooking itself.

I'll admit to a long standing prejudice against gas cooking which
probably has little real foundation - like many prejudices.

That said I've noticed when house hunting that kitchens with gas cookers
tend to be grimier than those with electric. So if it's not the quantity
of water it may be the soot from combustion combined with grease and
stuff from the cooking that is carried up onto the ceiling and walls and
deposited there by the condensing water vapour. I imagine an eggcup full
of water misted around a room would dampen quite an area. Perhaps an
advantage of electric cooking is that the fumes remain in the air longer
and have a better chance of getting out through a window.

We use pan with lids and little steam gets out - except when things need
fierce boiling. Then the windows and doors are fully open. One of the
benefits of having to buy new pans is that the new ones came with glass
lids which is apparently a good thing.

Anyway each to his own. And now that we can fit good cooker ventilators
maybe it won't matter any more.

Edgar