Posted to uk.d-i-y
Edgar[_2_] Edgar[_2_] is offline

Default Induction hob - Y/N?

Lobster wrote:

Our current gas hob is knackered (now two rings down and counting) and
given that obsolete replacement parts are prohibitively expensive it
needs replacing.

SWMBO, bless her little cotton socks, has been told by somebody that
induction hobs are the way forward.

I know zip about these other than I can see they are expensive - does
anybody here recommend them? Also, are they straightforward to fit
(we do have a dedicated radial oven cable already)

Thanks

We recently bought a new cooker with an induction hob. We had to buy a
new set of pans as our old ones weren't magnetic enough.
I won't have gas - the added moisture created by burning gas annoys me.
We were replacing a 30+ year old electric cooker with radiant rings. It
had to go because I couldn't source new ring trays and the old ones were
rusting through.
My wife is absolutely delighted with it. The only problem was the poor
instruction booklet. It took me ages to find out how to set the timers -
I found out by Googling for the manuals of other makes. Once you know
the manual makes sense!
My sister in law has one too and she also is delighted. I've yet to hear
anyone say "I wish I hadn't bought that Induction hob.".

I think induction hobs vary in speed and controllability so choose
carefully. We bought a single plate one to try out the idea. It wasn't
nearly as good as the cooker we eventually bought.

We bought a Stoves cooker in the end.

Edgar