Posted to alt.home.repair
Robin Ellzey Robin Ellzey is offline

Default Olive oil to remove wood stain from your hands

On May 10, 7:00*pm, nestork wrote:
Robin Ellzey;3060103 Wrote:

Good point, but as a cleaning up process in the kitchen after finishing
staining, it works pretty good getting stain off of your hands.
Robin

Robin:

Interior wood stain is NOTHING MORE than dye dissolved in mineral
spirits or alcohol. *Any dried up wood stain on your hands will dissolve
readily *in mineral spirits or alcohol (depending on what the original
stain carrier fluid was).

EXTERIOR wood stains will have some alkyd or acrylic binder in them so
that they form a film over the wood. *The purpose of having that binder
film form over the wood is to encase the UV blockers and mildewcides
which are also added to exterior stains to protect the wood from the Sun
and mildew growth on it. *Also, the binder film prevents the wood from
absorbing liquid water at it's end grain, and that's what causes wood
outdoors to split at it's end grain.

So, interior wood stain should come off easily with paint thinner and/or
isopropyl or denatured alcohol. *Exterior wood stain will come off with
whatever cuts the alkyd or acrylic binder; and if the binder has only
been dry for an hour or less, then water for water based exterior stains
or mineral spirits for oil based exterior stains will get the stain off
your hands.

While cooking oil might very well work, there are cheaper and more
effective alternatives available to you.

--
nestork

I will agree that there may be better alternatives. I just shared the
tip because I've never thought of using olive oil to remove the stain.
I cook with the stuff quite frequently, and sometimes I realize I got
stain on me after leaving the shop. It works in a pinch without
having to go back to the shop to clean up.