Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Finally an alternative to incandescents?

On Sat, 11 May 2013 17:48:17 -0400, "=" wrote:

5 degrees sounds like a lot and I'll guess that humidity will make a
difference in the A/C setting too. Anyone else have an estimate?

That's 5 degrees is just a guesstimate from me, and it's always
somewhat subjective. We have ceiling fans in most the rooms where you
sit or lay. Keep the AC set on 80. Sometimes we drop it to 78 when
humidity is high. I'm guessing I would need 75 to get the same
comfort level with no ceiling fans.

I'd like to get some idea of fans vs. A/C settings to see if I might save
energy this summer by installing a fan rather than using the A/C so much.

I use a 12" oscillating desk fan by my basement work area, so you
don't need a ceiling fan to test comfort level with moving air.
Main thing with ceiling fans is blade size and design, and motor
noise. I've got cheap paddle blade ones that move air well enough,
but are hummers.
My sister has some nice dead quiet ones in her Florida condo, with
smaller blades that move more air than mine. Shaped metal blades.
Probably a big cost difference.