Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K[_2_] Harry K[_2_] is offline

Default The government ruined the gas can...

On May 11, 5:26*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Frank:
I just had to buy one of these new POS cans for the lawn mower.
The old one got the seal pinched and torn and leaked. *I've never
spilled more gas since these new cans were mandated.

Don't feel like The Lone Ranger.

Mine worked, barely, when new. * After a few months, the mechanism
started jamming and I was spilling at least 20 times more gas than I
was before this mess was foisted on me.

Now I'm shopping for a workaround that works.

There's a YouTube video with a clever solution. I'll try to describe it with
only words. You'll need:
1. A tire air intake valve stem (old or used is OK)
2. A 1/2" drill bit
3. A length of fairly strong wire, smaller than a coat-hanger, but not much.
4. Pliers

Steps:
1. Toward the opposite end from the gas tank spout, drill a 1/2" hole.
2. Remove the valve from the valve stem
3. Thread the wire from the spout thru the new hole
4. Thread the other end of the wire thru the valve stem, and then thru the
newly-drilled hole
5. By tugging (hard) on the wire you should, eventually, manage to thread
the valve stem through the 1/2" hole previously drilled.
6. Clip off the wire and remove it via the spout hole.

You can now use the valve-stem cap to open and close your new vent hole.

That just _has_ to be a joke. Small hole, screw, remove screw =
vented, replace screw = non-vented.

Jazuzz the things people dream up!!!

Harry K