Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

Default Masonite flooring, bad idea?

. 3.70...
fired this volley in
:

Not particularly durable - it is just tempered cardboard. Wears
quickly - the urethane would be the only thing giving it any
wearability at all.

If it's the hard-surfaced version (tempered Masonite), recognizable by a
shiny surface, then it can be made quite durable.

We covered all the shipping tables at our plant with it, applying two
coats of VERY thinned-out oil-based urethane (to penetrate and seal),
then applying one un-thinned coat to protect the surface. We let it dry
for at least two days between coats, to gas out all the solvent on the
first two, and to permit full cross-linking on the final.

It wears like iron for medium-weight sliding traffic like 80lb product
boxes, scales, etc., although I'd have my reservations about how it would
hold up to small chair casters.

LLoyd

It's a lot harder than most natural wood ply products.