Posted to uk.d-i-y
geoff geoff is offline

Default Bit O.T. Speeding ... ?

In message

g, Steve Firth writes
geoff wrote:
In message
-september.or
, Steve Firth writes
geoff wrote:
[snip]

I think you'll find the cameras only operate when the variable speed
limit is in operation, since that's their declared purpose

I know that you will find that your statement is incorrect. The cameras
also function when VSL is not in operation. Finding out what limit the
cameras are set for is difficult, but I have seen cameras flashing drivers
exceeding 100mph in areas where VSL gantries exist but were not in
operation. Also I used to work at the HA and was involved in planning the
first controlled motorways in England

The world has changed since the 1950s. "Speed cameras" became "safety
cameras" and were coloured yellow, motorway gantry cameras in VSL zones
are there to enforce the posted speed

The important word you are missing out or not understanding is
"controlled". I didn't design the first motorways in England, I worked on
the design if the first *controlled* motorways in England. ie The first
motorways to use variable speed limits with enforcement using cameras
linked to the mandatory (red ring) indicators.

For the avoidance of doubt these were the M25 scheme and the M42.

do I know that the cameras were
specced to be active 24/7.

I would say I have significantly more recent experience of the M25 north
and west of london and the lower end of the M1 than you

See above, you really don't.

Use them both on a daily basis do you ragazzo ?

--
geoff