Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question just about the order of pipe dope sealant and teflon tape

On May 11, 9:22*am, Vic Smith wrote:
On Sat, 11 May 2013 04:30:52 +0000 (UTC), Danny D
wrote:

Q: Does the order of the tape & pipe sealant matter?

Starting with this:

Just wondering, if, for critical 2" PVC applications such as
pool equipment, when using *both* pipe sealant & teflon tape:

Does it matter if we put the teflon tape first:

And then the pipe sealant?

Before screwing the fitting into the housing:

Just curious:
Q: Does the order of the tape & pipe sealant matter?

According to this, tape is a no-nohttp://www.lascofittings.com/supportcenter/TheDosandDontsThreadedPlas....- Hide quoted text -

That's a good find. What they are saying makes sense and they
should know. I've used tape for years and rarely had a problem.
But part of it is probably because I know how much to tighten them
and don't over tighten a fitting to crack it. For the future, I'll
use
joint compound.

Also, the part about Sched 80 vs 40 was interesting. Particularly
the part about how any threaded PVC joint reduced the overall
pressure rating by 50% compared to all glued connections.