Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Perfectly safe homemade welding mask?

On Fri, 10 May 2013 23:33:15 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Fri, 10 May 2013 05:56:45 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
m:

Yes, while it may be perfectly possible (here, anyway), how -probable-
is it, Lloyd?

I did say, "might"...

I'll say this, though... if that guy ever worked on a large construction
site, he'd be a lot more likely to cop a couple of pair of those
'onlooker' glasses than he would a real helmet. They're pretty common
around structural steel projects. (the bosses don't want to muss their
hair by putting on a helmet).

LLoyd

Nearly all modern sunglasses are UV blockers. So the UV wont burn
his eyeballs.

I'm wondering what percentage of UV is blocked by modern sunglass
lenses. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/uv-protection/AN00832
OK, maybe he will be OK with those.

The glare might **** up the rods and cones..but it wont
be UV burns. The cardboard saves the rest of the face.

Yes, the light intensity will, without a doubt, burn up his vision.
Yeah, the cardboard is inelegant, but perfectly functional.

Speaking of light intensity, I picked up that 700W photography studio
light setup last week with dual backdrops and stands. Only $93.56
delivered. You oughta see the size of those CFLs. 3/4" diameter
tubing in a 4" diameter, 11" long bulb. http://tinyurl.com/cyyhjdw
They're called 85W CFLs but they draw only 70W in use. They're
amazingly bright, especially with the silvered umbrellas behind them
to focus the light. Ditto my newest LEDs, which are called 7W but
draw 5W in use. I love 'em all, though.

--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.