Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default 2 Lithium Manganese Dioxide cells in parallel. ?

William Sommerwerck wrote in message
I'm not sure what your question is. Or if you have a question.

3V lithium coin cells are commonly used to back up memory, including 5V
systems. They can last for years; I've never seen two used to add

capacity.

I have no idea why such a light load (150K) would cause the voltage to
immediately drop by 3%.

I've only ever seen a single cell or if multiple ones, then in series. On
first confronting , much confusion. Realised they were tied together but not
realised in parallel.
Each one measured 3V , in turn, but put the DVM over the other 2 ends then
near enough 0V, scatching head.
Put DVM on resistance scale and measured a varying low resistance of 20 to
60 ohms , varying slowly like across a large C capacitor , but no large
capacitors present. The approximately 0 ohms between 2 nearly equal 3V cells
was being interpreted as low ohms.

When I get replacement cell/cells? (why spend out on 2 ?) I'll try the 5K6
over night and see what effect on a known good cell , or at least new from
the supplier. These cells were 1/2AA size Sanyo CR14250SE if that is
relevant, ie not the usual PC large button cells