Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Masonite flooring, bad idea?

On Fri, 10 May 2013 13:59:33 -0700, wrote:

I bought a 14 foot x 14 foot room that a local guy had built to avoid
a building permit. So it's built just like a house would be, 2x10
floor joists, 2x6 walls, fully insulated floor, walls, and attic.
Since it is on pier blocks, is less than 200 square feet in area, and
is only plugged into power, not hardwired, the structure needs no
permitting because the county considers it a non-permanent structure.
The thing is finished inside except for the floor. The floor consists
of just tongue and groove 3/4 plywood and needs that needs to be
covered. I will be using the room as an office for my shop so I don't
need a fancy tiled floor or anything. As it happens I have many 4x8
sheets of 1/8 masonite that was used as temporary protection for the
wood floors in my house. So it has been walked on but is still in good
shape. Since I'm cheap and want to use the masonite up I would like to
use it as flooring. I would coat it with a water based urethane
product. Like the stuff used on the floors in my house. Good idea? Bad
idea? Who cares?

It's probably a bad idea, but who cares? It's almost free.

Were it my office, I'd drop a couple hundred for some nice commercial
foam-backed I/O carpeting and glue it down to the ply.
http://tinyurl.com/cjz7en2

--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.