Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K[_2_] Harry K[_2_] is offline

Default The government ruined the gas can...

On May 10, 1:10*pm, nestork wrote:
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the problem, but it seems to me that a hole
drilled into the plastic gas can near where the former vent was located
and plugged with a 1/4 inch long #8 sheet metal screw would solve the
problem.

[image:http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/Photos/Chai...uardScrew.jpg]

I think the real problem is that the people on the EPA committees don't
live in the real world. *With gas costing over $5 per gallon, people
make an effort NOT to spill it all over the ground even without the
government's efforts to prevent that from happening. *Not providing a
vent on a gas can only serves to annoy people. *The high price of gas
serves to prevent spillage more than the lack of a vent on the gas can.

--
nestork

MOst of the problem lies with the spouts. The first ones needed 3
hands to operate. I havn't tried one of the new ones yet. I have
head of a brand "No Spill" that supposedly works reasonably well.

Harry K