Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul Drahn Paul Drahn is offline

Default Masonite flooring, bad idea?

On 5/10/2013 4:36 PM, Steve W. wrote:
wrote:
I bought a 14 foot x 14 foot room that a local guy had built to avoid
a building permit. So it's built just like a house would be, 2x10
floor joists, 2x6 walls, fully insulated floor, walls, and attic.
Since it is on pier blocks, is less than 200 square feet in area, and
is only plugged into power, not hardwired, the structure needs no
permitting because the county considers it a non-permanent structure.
The thing is finished inside except for the floor. The floor consists
of just tongue and groove 3/4 plywood and needs that needs to be
covered. I will be using the room as an office for my shop so I don't
need a fancy tiled floor or anything. As it happens I have many 4x8
sheets of 1/8 masonite that was used as temporary protection for the
wood floors in my house. So it has been walked on but is still in good
shape. Since I'm cheap and want to use the masonite up I would like to
use it as flooring. I would coat it with a water based urethane
product. Like the stuff used on the floors in my house. Good idea? Bad
idea? Who cares?
Thanks,
Eric

Should work OK. I'd probably glue it down just like tile. Then coat it
with poly.

If you already had it in a house, then you know it's a bad idea. The
stuff is very unstable with changing humidity. There are not enough
nails in the Puget Sound area to nail it down and not have bulges
somewhere. Get some regular 1/2 inch floor underlayment and use that.
doesn't cost much per sheet and you won't need vary many.

The other problem with masonite is the slick surface.

On the other hand, I have it for the top surface of work benches both at
home and at the plant. Glued to solid wood surface with Gorilla Glue. No
chance for it to buckle up.

Paul