Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_17_] Frank[_17_] is offline

Default The government ruined the gas can...

On 5/10/2013 7:52 PM, Bob F wrote:
Frank wrote:
On 5/10/2013 3:14 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Frank:
I just had to buy one of these new POS cans for the lawn mower.
The old one got the seal pinched and torn and leaked. I've never
spilled more gas since these new cans were mandated.

Don't feel like The Lone Ranger.

Mine worked, barely, when new. After a few months, the mechanism
started jamming and I was spilling at least 20 times more gas than I
was before this mess was foisted on me.

Now I'm shopping for a workaround that works.

In the meanwhile, I've resorted to poly milk bottles with an
aftermarket twist-to-close spigot that works pretty well.

If I could find 5-gallon containers that took that spigot, I'd be
home free.

Don't use the polyethylene milk bottles. The plastic falls apart
after long exposure to light and even if it didn't it is too thin to
be safe.
I regretted throwing away an empty deck stain can. I could have used
it for the limited amount of two cycle gas I use.

Bleach bottle are a different plastic. I'd trust them a lot better than milk
bottles.

I use bleach bottles for settling out the solids in paint thinner so it can be
used again. (For cleaning, not for thinning)

Both are polyethylene and subject to the same kind of degradation. A
thicker bottle will hold up longer.

Little gross story, when I was bow hunting I had a thick polyethylene
bottle for urine collection. I'd pack it out rather than smell up the
area. One day up in a tree I looked at it and saw a crack. No way was
I going to put that back in my pack. I tossed it out of the tree and it
shattered like an egg. Would not want this to happen with gasoline.

I prefer to use a container designed for the liquid. This includes not
just the plastic but the stabilizer and other ingredients.