Posted to alt.home.repair
Robin Ellzey Robin Ellzey is offline

Default Olive oil to remove wood stain from your hands

On May 10, 2:47*pm, nestork wrote:
Robin Ellzey;3060065 Wrote:

I heard this tip on American Restorations this past week. *Basically
they said that if you get wood stain on your hands, put some olive oil
on them and it will help remove the stain. *something in the olive oil
is a natural solvent of r wood stains. *I just thought I would pass it
on.

I'd be careful about passing that on as a tip.

Olive oil is a vegetable oil just like Tung oil and linseed oil. *And,
as such, any olive oil that comes off your hands and onto wood is gonna
penetrate into that wood just like linseed oil or tung oil, and at that
point, it's going to prevent the wood cells soaked with olive oil from
absorbing stain.
The only way to get that olive oil out would be either to sand off the
wood to the depth the oil penetrated, or to wick it out with paper
towels damp with mineral spirits or something.

I'm just concerned that any vegetable oil getting on bare wood is going
to penetrate into the wood and cause problems, and that it would
probably be better to just use mineral spirits to clean your hands. *If
you get that mineral spirits on wood, it'll just evaporate from the
wood, and no harm done.

--
nestork

Good point, but as a cleaning up process in the kitchen after
finishing staining, it works pretty good getting stain off of your
hands.

Robin