Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_17_] Frank[_17_] is offline

Default The government ruined the gas can...

On 5/10/2013 3:14 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Frank:
I just had to buy one of these new POS cans for the lawn mower.
The old one got the seal pinched and torn and leaked. I've never
spilled more gas since these new cans were mandated.

Don't feel like The Lone Ranger.

Mine worked, barely, when new. After a few months, the mechanism
started jamming and I was spilling at least 20 times more gas than I was
before this mess was foisted on me.

Now I'm shopping for a workaround that works.

In the meanwhile, I've resorted to poly milk bottles with an aftermarket
twist-to-close spigot that works pretty well.

If I could find 5-gallon containers that took that spigot, I'd be home
free.

Don't use the polyethylene milk bottles. The plastic falls apart after
long exposure to light and even if it didn't it is too thin to be safe.

I regretted throwing away an empty deck stain can. I could have used it
for the limited amount of two cycle gas I use.