Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Where to look for crud in this 80's Hotpoint dishwasher?

On 05/10/2013 11:13 AM, wrote:
On May 10, 10:05 am, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 05/10/2013 09:06 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'm thinking two things. First, maybe too much food on the dishes
when they go into the washer. It's a sanitizer, not a washer.

Second, the new dish stuff is phosphate free, and doesn't work any
where near as well. We had that thread on AHR, several months ago.
The dish makers were pressured to remove phosphates. .

I've found that older dishwashers with the single spray arm at the
bottom just don't do a good enough job with the newer detergents, but
the one I'm using now with three spray arms must be better at
mechanically cleaning the goo off the dishes, they actually look
acceptable now.

nate

Kind of what I was thinking, ie once you've got a 30
year old dishwasher out and apart, is it worth screwing
around with? The new ones do a much better job of
cleaning. I got a nice new one about 5 years ago that
was an out-of-box one on Ebay for $175. Not only does
it work well, but it's also much quieter than the 80s one
it replaced.

The flip side to that is that the 30 year old one lasted 30 years; the
new one I don't trust to last half that long.

I sound like a grumpy old man, "everything built these days is CRAP!
When you find a quality product buy it because you know it'll be
discontinued soon for something ****tier!" The problem is, I believe
those statements to be mostly true.

nate

--