Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default UPVC Doors Won't Lock In Sunshine

On May 9, 10:07*pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article ,
* * * * The Medway Handyman writes:

On 03/05/2013 10:55, Tinkerer wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Check to see if the door has dropped by measuring the two diagonals
top to bottom corners. They should measure the same, and if they
don't, the door has dropped due to incorrectly fitting the glass
and/or panels in it, without healing/toeing them. Very common,
because the fitters often don't understand the process, and it takes
a while to fail after they've gone.
(Can also do the same check on the frame opening to make sure it's
square too.)

Thanks Andrew. * I will carry out those checks. *In answer to your
earlier question the locking mechanism works fine when the door is open
so I take it that it is either fouling at one of the points where it
latches into the "fixed" door or where it bolts into the top or bottom
of the frame. * It sounds as if I am not the only one to experience
this problem. * Fortunately it is only the porch, there is still a
sturdy old fashioned wooden front door behind it.

You can adjust the hinges on most uPVC doors (assuming they are). *Look
for a 'prize off' blanking cap & you should find a hex socket screw.

I would suggest trying to square up the door first, but it's more
involved, particularly if glazing security tape has been used to
fit the panels.

You have to take out the panels.
Then try to square up the door by using something to jack up the
bottom corner (opposite to hinge side). If you can do this with
it shut, that may make it easier. You are unlikely to be able to
get it back square again and may break it if you try, but at least
take up any easily recovered slack to make it nearer to square.
Now with it held in this position, refit the panals using a
selection of packers. (You will need to clean off and replace any
glazing tape used.) Each panel needs tight packers either side
of the lower corner on the hinge side, and the upper corner on the
opposite side. This makes the panel form a diagnoal bracing piece
in compression. Then pack the other two corners of each panel, but
it doesn't need to be as tight.
Refit beading now if there's no glazing security tape holding the
panels in.
You can remove the door jack now and test the fit.
Refit beading if you didn't do it above.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Above is all true.
Depending on your situation, remove the beads and then jack the door
up (while closed) by driving a wedge under it and put in silicon
between glass and frame all the way round& replace the beads .
You have to leave the door closed and jacked up for a couple of weeks
to let the silicon go off. Best done in warm weather.

This is a last resort if all else fails. The deformation may be
permanent.