Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Pocket Hole Screws

On 5/9/13 1:05 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 09 May 2013 13:03:13 -0500, -MIKE-
Word is their sales on regular old Coke skyrocketed due to all the
publicity over the failed ad campaign. So maybe it wasn't such a failure
after all. :-)

So, what does that mean? I really hate the new Coke, so I'm going to
go and drink more than the usual amount of the regular coke?

It means you couldn't turn on the TV during those months and not hear
someone talking about the New Coke. Talk shows and morning news shows
were doing taste tests and radio stations were talking about it and it
was water cooler talk for months. Water cooler is a metaphor for vending
machine, which generally hold coke cans. :-)

And then, when it was discovered the stuff sucked (tasted like Pepsi,
which was the intent all along), the buzz started back up talking about
what a failure it was. With all that free press for Coca-Cola, they
could've have bought more or better advertising.

It's the old adage, "There is no such thing as bad publicity."
Advertising is all about getting people thinking about your brand. The
catchy songs ("Anticipation"), the funny catch lines ("Where's the
beef?"), the memorable slogans ("Have it your way") all keep a brand in
your mind, and that's what they count on. So when a goof up (not a
tragedy-- poison in the tylenol) get's a brand name in the spotlight and
in the collective conscience of a society, it's gold for that brand.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--