nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D View Post
Which insists the 'secret' is the aeration which can come about if I build air spaces into the pile by heaping straw or other course material.

So that's one improvement on my technique that I will attempt as I won't
be physically 'turning' the compost anytime soon ...
Danny:

Here's an easy way to turn and aerate your compost:

Whomever made that appears to have just drilled holes in the side of the barrel and cut between those holes on three sides to make a crude "door".

If I was doing it, I would have drilled smaller holes, marked between the holes by snapping short chaulk lines, and then before making any cuts with a jig saw, I would have marked and drilled holes for mounting a hinge and hasp.

I'd drill the hinge and hasp holes and cut the lines between the corners. Then I'd mount the hinge and hasp with stainless steel rivens and stainless steel flat washers.

That way, you could pad lock the hasp closed to prevent animals from getting at the rotting meat inside. (But, I expect a grizzly would just consider that a challenge and knock that barrel around all day long trying to get at what's inside, cuz it smells edible.)