Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D Danny D is offline

Default Ideas for improving this second-generation home compostingmethod

On Wed, 08 May 2013 21:20:51 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

Do some Google searches. Putting meat into compost isn't really a good
idea. Use Google to understand the issues. I think you're asking for
trouble.

Googling, all I can find is that it's a "pest magnet", which is no big
deal since I live in the mountains anyway and since it's fenced in.

Before I fenced it in, something (probably a coyote) dug up the ham bones,
but nothing has been digging there other than the vultures and other
birds since I fenced it in.

Seems to me pests are no big deal; they're part of nature, which is what
composting is all about.

BTW, while googling for why meats are deprecated, I found this article:
http://weblife.org/humanure/chapter3_11.html

Which insists the 'secret' is the aeration which can come about if I
build air spaces into the pile by heaping straw or other course material.

So that's one improvement on my technique that I will attempt as I won't
be physically 'turning' the compost anytime soon ...