Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default compressor from garage sale

On 5/6/13 6:43 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 06 May 2013 18:33:16 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 5/6/13 4:20 PM,
wrote:

Assuming that it didn't rupture first.

Well, yes, but the point is that a consumer-grade air
compressor
can't even come close to
developing that kind of pressure.
A pressure cooker can't either.

Gun power can.

Only if contained. Gun powder a low explosive (the shock wave is
sub-sonic in the powder) and will not explode unless it's contained. A
pressure cooker isn't the best pressure vessel for this sort of thing,
either.

Although this wasn't gun powder, either. It was flash powder
(fireworks), which has a higher burn rate (usually contains metal
powder).

Ok, change everything I wrote to include "flash" powder.
The point is, an air tank doesn't "explode" sending shrapnel and...
A pressure cooker packed with an explosive plus ball bearings... does...
very well.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)