Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen[_2_] Dan Espen[_2_] is offline

Default Ideas for improving this second-generation home composting method

Danny D writes:

On Wed, 08 May 2013 17:49:34 +0200, nestork wrote:

I can't help thinking that giving those bacteria and fungi egg shells,
fish skins and orange peels to digest is like feeding pizza and beer to
a bird.

Interesting way to say it.

I did read not to put chicken, pork, beef, shells, etc. in the compost,
but, for the life of me, I can't figure out why.

I understand your analogy - but I wonder if it applies. I mean, what
are eggshells anyway? They're just calcium carbonate, right? Must dissolve
in the soil, right?

And, what are fish skins? They're just scales (keratin?) and slippery
fat. Why wouldn't bacteria love eating that stuff?

Same with orange peels. They fall on the ground all the time from
a wild orange tree, right? They must go somewhere or they would just
pile up until they covered the tree (since they don't blow away
in the wind).

In summary, I have heard these admonitions - but I've never seen a
decent believable explanation of why it would be bad for compost.

Do some Google searches. Putting meat into compost isn't really a good
idea. Use Google to understand the issues. I think you're asking for
trouble.

--
Dan Espen