Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Fixing Headphones

Trimming excessive previous text from posts makes them much easier to read.

Everything comes apart (even atoms), it's just a matter of figuring out the
puzzle.

Plastic tools with thin edges are good for getting started into seams of
adjoining pieces and cautiously proceeding to get inside.
As has been offered here often, screws sometimes are/can be hidden under
label stickers (or rubber plugs).

There are sellers who sell audio extension cables, and I recently bought
some from an eBay seller because I wasn't having any luck finding 2.5mm
right-angle plugs with 4 poles.

An alternative could be to install a jack on the headphones, so when the
cable fails it can just be replaced with another extension cable with
male-male plugs.

It's often easier to buy another device than to try to locate separate parts
to make a cable. I prefer replaceable cable ends, but molded right-angle are
more sensible on portable equipment.
So, if you happen to see an inexpensive audio accessory with a stereo cable
on it, you can consider buying it just for the cable to repair something
else.
I see lots of accessory cables for all the portable music devices anytime I
look at any electronics/personal audio stuff at stores.

--
Cheers,
WB

wrote in message

On Google I've been looking at exploded views of headphones and they are not
clear at all. If I knew what was supposed to be connected to what it would
make things easier because I've never seen the inside of headphones before.
And I can see no way to open these up without breaking them.

I hate to have to shotgun, but I still need to find a way to determine where
the break is.

I'd really like to just add twin 18 or 16 gauge leads from a plug to the ear
pieces, but don't know if that is plausible. (I can't even find plugs I can
solder to locally).

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.