Posted to rec.woodworking
Denis G.[_2_] Denis G.[_2_] is offline

Default compressor from garage sale

On May 5, 7:14*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
On 5/5/13 6:26 PM, woodchucker wrote:

On 5/5/2013 6:45 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 5/5/13 4:21 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 5/5/2013 5:16 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 5/5/2013 4:56 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 5/5/13 2:53 PM, woodchucker wrote:
When I got it home still did not hear water in it...
opened up the petcock after charging it up and holy crap the most
rusted
water... and probably a pint to quart of water came out.

So what chance do I have of saving this tank?

I guess I don't understand what's to save.
Does it still compress air?
You drained out the water.
Put a filter on the output and use it.

I think we'd all be surprised by how much water and rust are on the
inside of the tanks we use every day. *:-)

Well, this tank hadn't been used for years the owner said. I let the
water out of my tank weekly, how long do you let it sit there.
I figure that years of sitting means deep rust inside. Based on the
stink of that water, I'd have to say it's been in there a long time.

I also remember that there used to be an additive to tanks to protect
them.
I knew what it was 30 years ago.

Might be too late, but anyone know what the name is.

I'm going on 13 years with my current compressor and it work like
the day I bought it. *I think i remember letting a few ounces of water
out of it several years ago. *Yes, it was brown.

To the best of my knowledge, emptying water is important to keep water
out of your pneumatic tools and the finish material you might be
spraying using the compressor.

I don't think it affects the performance of the compressor.

Years ago I read about a tank having a catastrophic failure. It didn't
just pinhole, it blew from rust.

So I worry, I wanted to bring this into the basement. My current one
wakes me up at night when I forget to shut it...

This one will be quieter if I forget. But I need to know it will be ok.

I keep hearing about it, too, but it's always a friend of a friend of an
uncle's boss.
And I hear about it being from rust, too, but it's never confirmed.
There are always other factors responsible when investigations are done.
I've seen articles about talks in big shops "exploding" and causing
damage and injuries.
These are usually big, big tanks and the injured were standing nearby
and got cut by metal shards still attached to the tank.

13-20 gallon tank isn't going to "explode" with enough force to cause
the kind of damage you read about. BTW, when the pressure in mine gets
to high, the pressure release valve lets out a bunch of air. If you're
doesn't have one of those, it's probably a good idea to instal one.

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*